Priorities for Cataract research
At a workshop held on 10 April 2013 attended by patients and eye health professionals the following top 11 priorities for Cataract research were identified:
- How can cataracts be prevented from developing?
- Can the return of cloudy or blurred vision after cataract surgery known as posterior capsule opacity (PCO) or secondary cataract be prevented?
- How can cataract progression be slowed down?
- What alternatives to treat cataracts other than cataract surgery are being developed?
- What is the cause of cataract?
- How can cataract surgery outcomes be improved?
- How safe and effective is laser assisted cataract surgery?
- Should accommodative lenses be developed for cataract surgery?
- What is the best measure of visual disability due to cataract?
- Can retinal detachment be prevented after cataract surgery?
- What are the outcomes for cataract surgery among people with different levels of cognitive impairment (whatever the cause but including dementia, stroke, neurological conditions, head injuries)?